After receiving gum surgery Dr. Kenneth Yost will provide you with instructions to help you recover. Please follow these instructions exactly, as caring for your mouth properly after a gum procedure is crucial to the success of your treatment.
We recommend that you:
- Do not eat for about three hours after your treatment
- Maintain a soft diet for two to three days
- Avoid alcohol, carbonated drinks and hard or brittle foods
- Stay hydrated
- Take all prescribed antibiotics and medications as directed
- If you have a reaction to a medication, stop taking that medication immediately and call our office
- Use a non-aspirin pain reliever as needed
- While slight bleeding and oozing after gum surgery is normal and may occur for up to 48 hours after treatment, persistent bleeding can be relieved by applying a moistened gauze pad or tea bag to the area in 20-minute intervals. Keep your head elevated. If bleeding does not stop contact our office.
- Use an ice pack to reduce swelling
- Maintain good oral hygiene – brush very lightly the first night and resume gently flossing the next day. Do not use any irrigation devices until you are cleared to do so.
- Do not smoke for at least 48 hours
If you have any questions or to make an appointment with our dentist in Wilmington, Delaware, call Advanced Dental Artistry today at 302-477-1888.